Becoming a primary teacher is a multifaceted role that requires individuals to be educators, mentors, and role models simultaneously. The impact you can make on your student’s education and well-being can be deeply rewarding. Moreover, pursuing an advanced degree can enhance your skills and career prospects.
A brilliant option for aspiring primary teachers in NSW, is the Online Master of Teaching (Primary), a postgraduate program designed to equip educators with a versatile skill set. This program focuses on preparing 21st-century inclusive teachers for the diverse challenges they will encounter and to maximize their knowledge and skills for the classroom, the staff room, parents and the broader community. We’ve rounded up 5 key features as to how this online program is an excellent option to further your meaningful career in primary education.
Why you should study a Master of Teaching:
- Workplace Practice: The curriculum of the Master of Teaching (Primary) is centred around workplace practice, ensuring that you gain practical experience aligned with the national professional standards. This includes a substantial component of professional placement, amounting to 60 days, split into two 30-day blocks around NSW. During these placements, you will have the opportunity to apply what you’ve learned in a real classroom environment with the constant support of a dedicated university academic advisor.
- Mentorship: Throughout your professional placements, you will be guided and mentored by experienced classroom teachers – giving you the know-how to tackle challenges and encourage and impart critical tools for you to use throughout your career. This support system is invaluable for your growth as an educator, as it provides guidance and supervision as you navigate the teaching profession.
- Flexible Exit Option: If you choose to, you also have the option of leaving the program early with a Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies. This can be a valuable qualification if you wish to explore alternative career paths within education. You can decide to reprise the Master of Teaching degree at a later date and this will count as credits towards your studies.
- Accreditation: Upon completing the Master of Teaching (Primary), you will be qualified to practice as a primary teacher, with accreditation from the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA). This accreditation process is rigorous and is part of a national system overseen by the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL). This means that you can teach in any type of school (government, private or Catholic) and anywhere in Australia.
- Start Date and Sequence: The program offers multiple start dates in February, May, and September, providing flexibility for prospective students. You can decide whether you want to study up to 3 subjects each trimester and amend your sequence according to your schedules.
- Qualification: This postgraduate program allows you to advance your qualifications in primary teaching.
- Duration: The program can span from 1.5 years to 3, giving you the flexibility to acquire the necessary knowledge and experience studying from 1 to 3 subjects each trimester, as it suits your schedule
- Subjects: The curriculum consists of 16 subjects that cover a broad range of topics essential for effective primary teaching.
- Online support: with no compulsory attendance (apart from the 2 placements in schools), you will enjoy expert academic tutors’ support when you need it. The academic tutors are all very expert teachers who will respond to any query within a day or two maximum and whose presence online is constant.
Becoming a primary teacher offers a fulfilling and diverse career path with opportunities for personal and professional growth. Advanced programs like the Online Master of Teaching (Primary) can provide you with the knowledge, skills, and practical experience needed to excel in this role. If you are seeking to further your education, this program can help you make a significant impact in the lives of your students while preparing you for a variety of challenges that come with the responsibility and rewards of becoming a primary educator in Australia and across the globe. Primary school teaching is a very ‘in-demand’ career right now, so there has never been a better time to start your studies.
Visit our Master of Teaching (Primary) page to learn more about this exciting opportunity, or get in touch with one of our friendly Course Consultants. You can also download a brochure to browse our course content, career pathways, how online study works, and course fees.
To get started on your journey to studying for a Master of Teaching, apply online today.